Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blueberries The Wonder Fruit

Since starting my journey on becoming healthy I began to eat blueberries everyday.  At first I really didn’t notice a difference but now let me tell you those little berries are awesome!  I have not been sick in over two months and I thank the blueberries. I began to research blueberries and indeed those berries are so good for our bodies. I didn’t realize myself how healthy blueberries were until I started researching them.  I encourage everyone to start eating blueberries everyday and discover the benefits of these super little berries. I will share some of the blueberry fats I have found:

            1. Blueberries are very low in calories; 100g fresh berries provide only 60 calories.
            2. Blueberries contain dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins and pigment anti-oxidants.
     (Taken from HealthCastle.com) Antioxidants are substances or nutrients in our foods which can     prevent or slow the oxidative damage to our body. When our body cells use oxygen, they naturally produce free radicals (by-products) which can cause damage. Antioxidants act as            "free radical scavengers" and hence prevent and repair damage done by these free radicals.  Health problems such as heart disease, macular degeneration, diabetes, cancer etc are all contributed by oxidative damage. Indeed, a recent study conducted by researchers from London found that 5 servings of fruits and vegetables reduce the risk of stroke by 25 percent. Antioxidants may also enhance immune defense and therefore lower the risk of cancer and infection. 
            3. Blueberries also protect the body from cancers, aging, degenerative diseases and infections.
            4. It has been shown that research studies suggest that chlorogenic acid found in blueberries helps to lower blood sugar levels and control blood sugars in type-II diabetes.
            5. Blueberries contain small amounts of vitamin C, A and E.  They also contain small amounts of B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, folates and pantothenic acid.  Blueberries have good amounts of B-6 and folic acid.  These vitamins help as co-factors to metabolize carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
            6. Blueberries contain good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, iron and zinc. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.  

Fruits are so important to our daily food consumption and every adult should be eating three servings a day.  Remember to read or look up what a serving size is for each fruit because believe it or not we can overeat on fruit.  Some fruits contain higher natural sugars so always try to eat the correct serving per fruit.
 .

3 comments:

  1. I prefer raspberries myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read Theresa! What is your favorite blueberry recipe? Can I see a picture of your cat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know I had a cat? To raspberry lover, have you tried blueberries yet? I know once you eat blueberries and see how much better you'll begin to feel you will never look at raspberries the same!

    ReplyDelete